Mangaldas Market in Mumbai
This wholesale market attracts more than 1 lakh shoppers on daily basis. The staggering number of customers that Mangaldas Market attracts even today is indeed proof of unvarying quality of its cloths & garments and also immense trustworthiness it enjoys among Mumbaikars. In fact some of India’s most prominent fashion designers purchase cloths & fabrics for their creation from very own Mangaldas market. This fact alone tells you about how immensely good the quality of cloths and garments are in Mangaldas market.
Mangaldas Market has over 100 garment & fabric shops which are divided among 9 narrow lanes. You won’t get any sophisticated and classy shopping experience here, if anything this place is as chaotic, disorganized and noisy as its neighborhood market areas like Crawford market and Zaveri market. But this chaotic & disorganized market is overloaded with all kinds & varieties of cloths and fabrics that one can think of:
- All kinds of unstitched fabrics: cotton, silk and polyester.
- Fabrics for suiting, shirting and blazer.
- Fabric for men's sherwani.
- Fabrics for pencil skirts, waist coats, maxi dresses and salwar suits.
- Saares and Kurta & Pajama.
It’s important to note that mostly unstitched or semi-stitched material is sold at this market. Kurtas and leggings are the only stitched clothes sold at this market.
Some Interesting Facts about Mangaldas Market
- Carry only cash. Probably only few shops at Mangaldas market accept debit or credit card payment. So, carry as much cash as you can
- If you are a Mumbaikar who is going to get married soon, then head to Mangaldas Market. Most of the soon-to-be married people of Mumbai get all their marriage wardrobes from Mangaldas market. The prospective married couples not only get quality cloths, but also save immense money.
- Another very important thing that readers and people must know is that Mangaldas market is not street market. It’s an indoor market, as in all the cloths and garments are sold from shops and not street stalls.
- All the newly arrived cloths & fabrics in the city first reaches Mangaldas market and only then is distributed to other parts of the city. This implies that Mangaldas is only place where Mumbaikars can shop all the newly arrived cloths months or weeks before they are eventually distributed to all other retail stores of Mumbai; and that too at wholesale prices
- How good this place is for bargaining? Well, this depends from shop owner to shop owner. Since this is an wholesale market, you already enjoy heavy discounts and hence most shop owners are adamant on selling at ‘fixed price’. However, bargaining is still an viable option at this place
- Most of the shop owners at Mangaldas market are either Guajarati’s or Sindhi’s. So, if you’re well versed with Gujarati/ Sindhi language or at least accompany a Gujarati/Sindhi friend, then bargaining can get much easier here.
- Get ready for some jostling and haggling. This place is actually muddle of narrow lanes and is always jam packed & overloaded with crowd. If you want to shop during non-peak hours then visit during 10 A.M to 12 P.M.
How to Reach Mangaldas MarketMangaldas Market is very near to iconic C.ST or Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station. There are nonstop buses and taxis from C.ST to Mangaldas Market. The taxi or bus journey from C.S.T to Mangaldas market would not take more than 15-20 minutes.
As for reaching C.S.T station, it is the main terminal of central and harbor railway local trains and hence there can be no dearth of local trains whatsoever for C.S.T station.