Mangaldas Market in Mumbai
If Zaveri Bazaar is all about jewelry, Crawford market is all about fruits and vegetables, then Mangaldas Market in Mumbai is all about cloths and fabrics. Since the British era Mangaldas market has been the favorite shopping destination of diehard cloths and fashion lovers residing in Mumbai city. Today in fact this historic shopping destination is the biggest wholesale market for cloths and fabrics in entire Mumbai city.
In fact some of India’s most prominent fashion designers purchase cloths & fabrics for their creation from very own Mangaldas market. This fact alone tells you about how immensely good the quality of cloths and garments are in Mangaldas market.
Mangaldas Market has over 100 garment & fabric shops which are divided among 9 narrow lanes. You won’t get any sophisticated and classy shopping experience here, if anything this place is as chaotic, disorganized and noisy as its neighborhood market areas like Crawford market and Zaveri market.
It’s important to note that mostly unstitched or semi-stitched material is sold at this market. Kurtas and leggings are the only stitched clothes sold at this market.
Some Interesting Facts about Mangaldas Market
- Most of the soon-to-be married people of Mumbai get all their marriage wardrobes from Mangaldas market. The prospective married couples not only get quality cloths, but also save immense money.
- Another very important thing that readers and people must know is that Mangaldas market is not street market. It’s an indoor market, as in all the cloths and garments are sold from shops and not street stalls.
- Mangaldas is only place where Mumbaikars can shop all the newly arrived cloths months or weeks before they are eventually distributed to all other retail stores of Mumbai; and that too at wholesale prices
- How good this place is for bargaining? Well, this depends from shop owner to shop owner. Since this is an wholesale market, you already enjoy heavy discounts and hence most shop owners are adamant on selling at ‘fixed price’. However, bargaining is still an viable option at this place
- Most of the shop owners at Mangaldas market are either Guajarati’s or Sindhi’s. So, if you’re well versed with Gujarati/ Sindhi language or at least accompany a Gujarati/Sindhi friend, then bargaining can get much easier here.
How to Reach Mangaldas MarketMangaldas Market is very near to iconic C.ST or Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station. There are nonstop buses and taxis from C.ST to Mangaldas Market. The taxi or bus journey from C.S.T to Mangaldas market would not take more than 15-20 minutes. As for reaching C.S.T station, it is the main terminal of central and harbor railway local trains and hence there can be no dearth of local trains whatsoever for C.S.T station.
Also See: Bhuleshwar Market in Mumbai | Gandhi Market in Mumbai | Fashion Street Mumbai | Colaba Causeway in Mumbai | Manish Market in Mumbai | Mangaldas Market in Mumbai | Crawford Market in Mumbai | Chor Bazaar in Mumbai | Bhendi Bazaar