Jehangir Art Gallery
A city that takes immense pride for measuring time in terms of money was always going to give least priority to art. However, thanks to Jehangir Art Gallery art has not only managed to survive in money obsessed city like Mumbai, but has indeed thrived and grown immensely.
It is not only renowned & established artists who have used Jehangir’s spacious art gallery, but even budding artists have been generously provided opportunity to showcase their artistic talent in this spacious art gallery. Indeed it is Jehangir Art Gallery’s deep bond with budding and upcoming artists since its inception that make it so distinct and stand out in the midst of other art galleries in the city.
The journey of Jehangir Art Gallery in Mumbai began in 1952, the year when this historic art gallery was officially inaugurated. The idea of having a spacious art gallery at the very heart of Mumbai was mooted by famous Parsi Sir Cowasji Jehangir, who dreamt of bringing a new renaissance in Indian art. Sir Cowasji Jehangir and other prominent luminaries from art world eventually put lot of heart and soul to fulfill their beloved dream and finally on 21st January 1952 Jehangir Art Gallery came into being.
From 1952 to 2013, it has been a journey of more than 60 years of selfless dedication to Indian art. Jehangir’s selfless dedication for Indian art has also won many prominent admirers. No less than India’s former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and former President Shankar Dayal Sharma have made auspicious visit to Jehangir Art Gallery for inaugurating important exhibitions & art shows.
Facilities and amenities at Jehangir Art Gallery
- Jehangir Art Gallery is indeed a very spacious art gallery. It has total 2 halls and one auditorium hall and one exhibition gallery. Two halls have all the modern amenities to exhibit all kinds of visual art exhibitions.
- The auditorium hall compromises of 2,700 square feet of floor area and hanging wall space of around 180 running feet.
- The exhibition gallery is even bigger and laced with more technology than auditorium hall. Exhibition gallery compromises of about 3,700 square feet and hanging wall space of about 370 running feet. The gallery is also laced with modern sophisticated technologies like climate control and security system.
- The gallery is actually divided into three sections. People who want to exhibit their paintings in the gallery can hire it either fully or section wise.
- The art gallery also has a restaurant, namely ‘Samovar’ restaurant, which predominantly serves fast food items. This restaurant is quite famous among south Mumbai crowd and has also featured in few Bollywood films too.
How to apply at Jehangir Art Gallery:
- Applicants or budding artists will have to wait till the month of September every year, as that is when the forms are available. The cost of form is merely Rs 150. Applicants will have to visit Jehangir Art Gallery to collect the form.
- The forms can be submitted anytime between October and December. Along with the form applicants will have to submit a CD, which showcases applicant’s previous works.
- For further inquiry: Call (022)-22843989. Email: email@example.com
How to reach Jehangir Art Gallery:Address:
161/B, Opposite Elphinstone College, Kala Ghoda,
Mahatma Gandhi Road, Fort,
Mumbai – 400001
Phone no: 022 22843989.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0