Jawaharlal Nehru Port
History of the Jawaharlal Nehru PortJawaharlal Nehru Port, located near to Navi Mumbai was established by hiten maturer, on the Konkan mainland. It was inaugurated on 26 May 1989. It is one of the largest ports in the world. Nhava Sheva Port is run by the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust, a corporation completely owned by the Government of India. It also enabled importers to avoid the octroi tax on goods for entering Mumbai city by the Municipal Corporation of Mumbai.
Jawaharlal Nehru harbor foundation was originally planned to open in 1965. The original plans anticipate the port to use for the importing of the food grains, since India faced an exceeding food shortfall during the time. But after the Green Revolution in India, the country gained enough food grain production, so the plans for the port was changed. According to the new plan the main intention of the port was container trafficking. The closest suburban rail heads to the location are CBD Belapur and Panvel.
Facilities at the Jawaharlal Nehru PortThe Nhava Sheva International Container Terminal (NSICT) is leased to a corporation led by P & O, which is now a part of DP World. It has a 600 meters (2,000 ft) quay length with two docks. It can stem up to 15.6 million tons of cargo.
Marine Service in Jawaharlal Nehru Port
- Pilotage: The port provides 24*7 hours pilotage to all ocean going vessels contacting the port.
- Night Navigation: Since February 1998, it has launched night sailing of long Panamax Container Vessels up to 270 M LOA and 12 M draft on a regular basis, which are largest vessels to transact the Mumbai port at night.
- Vessel Traffic Management System: Regular coordination of vessel movement, collection, verification, organization and dissemination of information is enabled through this system.
- Anti Pollution measures: The pollution control and regular inspection on all vessels entering the port is imposed.
Other activities in Jawaharlal Nehru PortThe Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JN Port), India’s largest gateway to container trade has given significant contribution to the development of the country and the state. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Plantation of trees inside the terminal
- Awareness movements through banner display, special tool box talks, and sharing environmental information.
- Elocution and quiz competition
- Tree plantation and Environmental awareness programs at local schools ensuring the involving of students and teachers and environmental awareness in nearby villages.