Gandhi Market in Mumbai
Although in last few decades Gandhi market has grown immensely to accommodate other shopping items like bags, shoes, imitation jewelry etc, it is its rich variety and exotic collection of cloths and garments that has given this place such immense popularity among diehard shopaholics of Mumbai city.
And all these exotic and beautiful cloths comes at pretty budget rate, this is purely why most middleclass women from Dadar-Sion area flock to Gandhi Market for buying beautiful female wardrobes. Moreover, Gandhi Market caters to all kinds of garments and wardrobes that can lure any shopaholics mind, especially female shopaholics:
All kinds of Sarees – silk sarees, cotton sarees, south Indian sarees and Bengali sarees.
Rich varieties of salwaar kameez , chudidhaar, chunni or dupatta.
Unstitched fabrics for blazers, shirting, trouser and even Salwar Kameez. Special wedding dresses like shirvanis, blazers and special wedding sarees are available in great abundance. Western outfits like jeans and tops. Readymade garments for kids. Even outfits worn by Bollywood actress in latest & blockbuster films are also available here.
Shopping in Gandhi Market
Besides cloths & garments, other shopping items available at Gandhi Market Mumbai:
- Bags, shoes & slippers, imitation jewelries.
- Inner wear for ladies, napkins, towels.
- And even snacks and vegetables are available here.
Some Facts about Gandhi Market in Mumbai
- Most important fact is that Gandhi Market is closed on Monday. So, visiting this shopping destination on Monday would be a futile exercise.
- Carry as much cash as you can. There are many shops in Gandhi market that even today transacts only on cash and doesn’t accept any debit or credit card payment.
- Shopping in Gandhi market without bargaining is indeed crime. This place is heartland of bargain shopping. So, bargain as much as you can.
- Gyani, a shop that specializes in wedding dresses & located right at the entrance of Gandhi market, is one of the most famous shops here.
- Food at Gandhi Market is equally popular. Spicy Pav Bhaji at Status Fast Food restaurant is immensely popular. Hotel Prabha, which specializes in South Indian cuisine, also enjoys enormous popularity among shoppers and food lovers here.
- This place was originally a refugee camp for Punjabis and Sindhis who had migrated from Pakistan after violent partition of India in 1947. It was only in the later years & decades that this place got converted into booming and buzzing market place.
How to Reach Gandhi Market
In case if you are coming from Central railway line, then nearest railway station is Sion railway station, which is approximately 3 to 4 kilometers away from Gandhi Market. There are nonstop BEST bus services right from Sion railway station for Gandhi Market.
Besides, Gandhi market is very centrally located, so there are innumerable BEST buses from almost all the important suburban Mumbai areas: Bandra, Dadar, Matunga, Santacruz, Andheri etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0