Crawford Market in Mumbai
The entire Crawford Market is spread across an area of 22,471 sq m, out of which 5,515 sq m is occupied by the iconic Crawford Market building. In this humongous market, literally all types of vegetables & fruits are sold. In fact here there are many stalls that are dedicated for selling only particular fruits and vegetables.
Another very special thing about Crawford Market in Mumbai is that during summer season (April-may), this place offers best and 100% Alphanso mangos at wholesale rate. In fact Mumbaikars from all corners of the city flock to Crawford Market to buy yummy & original Alphanso mangos at wholesale prices.
Other Items Sold at Crawford Market
- Animals: Crawford Market has a special section dedicated only for selling animals: dogs, pets, cats, fish, parrot and bird songs. However, condition of these animals & birds on sale isn’t very good.
- There are also many stalls that sell snacks like biscuit, chocolate and Namkeen.
- Shampoos, soaps, cosmetics and other beauty products are also widely available here.
- Crawford is also hub for decoration items, especially festival decoration items, Diwali decorations, Christmas decorations and even party decorations.
Renowned Places near Crawford MarketThere are many landmark and iconic places in the proximity of Crawford Market:
- Dhobi Ghat: famous public laundry washing house of Mumbai
- Mahatma Gandhi Phool Market: Wholesale flower market of Mumbai
- Mulji Jetha Market: Wholesale Gujarati food market.
- Manish Market: renowned for selling mobile phones.
- St Xavier College – one of the most famous colleges of Mumbai.
Some Important Tips for Shopping in Crawford Market
- Carry lot of cash; sellers at Crawford market even today don’t accept debit & credit card.
- Prefer buying in bulk for better and discount deals.
- And while shopping in Crawford Market, shoppers have to be constantly aware of pick-pocketing, especially during peak hours.
- If you want to avoid peak hours and insane crowd here, then you must visit this market between 10 am to 12 pm.
Some Really Interesting Facts about Crawford Market
- Many years back Crawford market was renamed as Mahatma Jyotirao Phule market, however Mumbaikars still call this place ‘Crawford market’
- The iconic Crawford Market building was the first building in entire India to be lit by electricity.
- Major part of the iconic Crawford Market building was designed by Lockwood Kipling, father of the famous British novelist Rudyard Kipling.
How to Reach Crawford Market
Crawford Market is just few minutes walking distance from Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST). One can take bus or train to C.S.T station & from there one can take either cab or simply walk towards Crawford. It is the best fruits and pets market one can visit in Mumbai.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0