Bhendi Bazaar in MumbaiBhendi Bazaar shines like a polar star in the midst of plethora of iconic markets in the South Mumbai Area. Despite its extraordinary proximity with legendary markets like Zaveri Bazaar, Crawford Market and Chor Bazaar, Bhendi Bazaar has managed to carve out a unique identity that has thoroughly stood the test of time. With its traditional Islamic culture & lifestyle, barrage of depleted old buildings, buzzing commercial markets all around and not to forget the best of Mughal cuisine & non veg cuisine, Bhendi Bazaar lends a distinct aura to historical south Mumbai area; an aura that attracts millions of Mumbaikars everyday from across the city.
But one can feel this distinct aura of Bhendi Bazaar, if only one is willing to cope up with certain things here, these certain things are actually essential traits of Bhendi Bazaar: the maddening crowd, never dyeing insane traffic, and little bit of dirt and unhygienic surrounding that might just prick you a bit. If you are willing to cope with all this, then you’ll surely enjoy all the other good things that Bhendi Bazaar is actually known for.
At the very heart of Bhendi Bazaar’s good things lies array of antique shops, which has been part of Bhendi Bazaar’s commercial business for generations; Mumbai’s die hard lover of antique things hold these shops at high esteem. You will find array of antique things here: right from antique handicrafts to antique wall clocks, from antique furniture’s to antique decorative things, from antique coins to even antique Gramophones.
Bhendi Bazaar’s love affair with antique things has lot to do with its immense proximity with popular Chor Bazaar or flea market, which is equally known for its huge collection of antique things. But, Bhendi Bazaar is much more than cluster of antique shops. It is indeed a complex web of shops and street stalls that sell hell lot of stuffs:
- Household items
- Electronic & computer hardware
And there is no better time to relish this Mughlai cuisine at Bhendi Bazaar than EID night. Bhendi Bazaar, being one of the most Muslim dominated areas of Mumbai, celebrates EID with amazing fervor and entire area is transformed into a food carnival: serving the most delicious EID deciles & food that is unlikely to be served in any other part of Mumbai.
However Eid or no Eid, Bhendi Bazaar is the most heavenly place for die hard non-vegetarians of Mumbai city. There are many hotels in Bhendi Bazaar that for many decades has been serving Mumbaikars with divinely delicious non-veg cuisines.
Restaurants in Bhendi Bazaar
Check out these hotels at Bhendi Bazaar:
- Shalimar Restaurant – unarguably one of the most famous restaurants for Mughlai and non vegetarian cuisine – located at the very heart of Bhendi Bazaar.
- Noor Mohammadi Hotel – located just beside Shalimar Restaurant – specialties: Nalli Nihari, Dal Gost, Mutton Pay and Chicken Biryani. Also, do taste the famous ‘Chicken Sanju Baba’ dish, named after Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt.
- Delhi Zaika – another very immensely popular restaurant – specializes in northern Indian non-veg cuisines.
- Jilani Fast food Centre – popular for non vegetarian fast food.
- Barb-B-Que Corner – do visit this place for tasty Kababs
- Valibhai Payawala - immensely popular for ‘Bara handi (12-pot) breakfasts’. Even Bollywood superstars Salman Khan and SRK are fan of this dish.
- Tawakkal Sweets – immensely popular sweet shop at Bhendi Bazaar – you can relish sweet items like Malpua, Rabri, and Mango Phirni.
- Taj Ice-Cream – very popular for delicious Ice Creams, also serves faloodas, kulfis and milkshakes. It is also one of the oldest ice cream centers in Mumbai – 110 years old.
How to Reach Bhendi Bazaar
In case if you’re coming by Western Railway then halt either at Grant Road or Mumbai Central Station. Bhendi Bazaar is also equally accessible by BEST buses. BEST bus service connects Bhendi Bazaar to literally all the important parts of Mumbai city: Walkeshwar (Colaba), Bandra, Mahim, Santacruz, Worli, Goregaon, Andheri etc. The bus stops in Bhendi Bazaar area include: Johar Chowk Bus Station, Mandvi Post Office Bus Station, Gol Mandir Bus Station, Minara Masjid Bus Station, Vijay Vallabh Chowk / Pydhuni Bus Station.
Also See: Fashion Street Mumbai | Manish Market in Mumbai